Paul is a West Point graduate, former Army paratrooper, a current member of the National Rifle Association, and a Life Member of Firearms Owners Against Crime (FOAC). At a young age, he learned the importance of not only using firearms safely and responsibly but also the obligation imbued on all citizens to the defense of our nation.
He understands the importance of implementing public policy that enshrines and protects the rights of responsible gun owners in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania’s Constitution, Article 1, Section 21, was the foundation for the 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights of the U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 21 is clear in that it provides for a citizen’s defense of themselves and the state “shall not be questioned”.
With Paul, all Pennsylvanians will have a Governor they can trust to protect their 2nd Amendment Right To Bear Arms. The Right To Bear Arms has been a foundational value throughout the history of our Commonwealth and state constitution prior to even the U.S. Constitution. Many Pennsylvanians own guns for protection, for collecting, for recreation, and even their livelihood. Paul believes that our right to bear arms must be protected in Pennsylvania and will veto legislation that attempts to infringe on that clearly expressed right guaranteed to our citizens. Article I, section 21 of our Commonwealth’s Constitution clearly states that the right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. Paul heartily supports this.
As Governor, Paul will:
- Support reciprocity agreements for the lawful carrying of firearms discussed at the federal level: Pennsylvania gun owners face many regulations that differ across states, leaving them at risk for unnecessary legal liability. Paul will support national reciprocity to streamline gun regulations across state lines and protect Pennsylvanians. He will support legislation to limit the sharing of gun owner registration to those states with reciprocity laws to limit prejudicial encounters with law enforcement.
- Protect Pennsylvanians’ constitutional rights: As Governor, Paul will protect Pennsylvanians’ Second Amendment rights by vetoing any legislation infringing on the constitutional right of law-abiding Pennsylvanians to defend themselves. This includes holding accountable communities that enact ordinances that violate Pennsylvania and federal law regarding the right to bear arms. As Governor, Paul will ensure that elected officials at all levels are accountable to oath they take to uphold the law.
- Eliminate the duplicative Pennsylvania Instant Check System in favor of utilizing the National Instant Check System. This will eliminate gun registries and reallocate those funds toward more effective law enforcement that make us safer. Pennsylvania’s duplicative background check system (Pennsylvania Instant Check System, or PICS) is functionally flawed and not well integrated with the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Paul opposes using PICS as a de facto gun registry, as we have for decades, and will support the use of NCIC and the National Tracing Center to share information among law enforcement agencies, thereby reallocating the $7 million in annual costs toward State Police training and hiring.
- Support the enhancement of the Castle Doctrine: Pennsylvanians should have the right to defend themselves from disparate force. Requiring the victim to establish the type of weapons, in a life or death encounter, before extending the protections of Castle Doctrine to self-defense is an unreasonable burden on Pennsylvanians’ right to self-defense.
- Expose the failure of government to punish career violent criminals in our urban areas and work to focus law enforcement assets on targeting high crime areas.
If you agree that we need to enforce existing gun laws and not punish law-abiding citizens, sign our petition.